Sunday, October 16, 2005

Sleeping with the Elephant, Swimming with the Shark

I took a liberty. The temptation to comment on an article in The Globe and Mail newspaper last week was irresistible. The thing is, my sister passed on her subscription login to me (it used to be free) and I discovered after posting it was in her name! She was quite surprised to have gotten an email from the editor accepting ‘her’ comment:

Karen Hutton,

Your comment was approved by our editors and was posted to the following story: "Talk to Bush, Tories tell PM"

To see your comment, please follow this link:



Thank you for joining the conversation.


Her email to me:

hmmmmmm.....did you put words in my mouth!!??

Love k



And the comment:

Karen Hutton from Toronto, writes:

We are no longer in bed with
Trudeau's elephant*.
Martin should realise that he is in a tank with a great white shark. Get out of the tank. Get out of NAFTA.




*Sleeping With the Elephant – The Trudeau Years

Canada and the World: A History
Govt of Canada

1 comment:

darthcricket said...

Hey Chet

I appreciate you leaving a post on my blog, but I had to wonder for a second at the relevance to the post you were commenting on.

Nevertheless, I have great respect for First Nations peoples and not being one myself, I have friends who are, and read many good writers who refer to the description "Indian" but probably do so out of not wanting any hassle from whitey.

I generally call them by their name, as in your case, Chet.

But for some time I have been referring to FNP's as Native American's. In my thought North America (and Central & South) is your native country and you have survived the European invasions of the last 500 years.

But as you say, this is not India, but the next problem is that America is not the name you gave it either but as you also say, "...because we were the first people to inhabit this land we know as north america..."

What do you mean "we" white man? lol

So it is simple to fall under the spell of the term "America" as that is where you say where you live.

But for that matter, where do you live and what First Nation's people are you?

With respect,
darthcricket

>}-)