Thursday, February 28, 2008

Harper's Jelly Beans and Flaherty's Peanuts



Harper is brilliant to the point of being an evil genius. He is a master of distraction and has the devious nerve to offer us "jelly beans" with regard to the SSP 2007 Leaders’ Summit in Montebello, Quebec.

“Is the sovereignty of Canada going to fall apart if we standardize the jelly bean?” asked our Prime Minister with a smirk. “You know, I don’t think so.”

And now Harper's guardian of the Mother Hubbard ministry, Jim Flaherty, is saying the cupboard is bare yet less than a week ago he was looking at an unexpected billion or so from The Canadian Tar Pits.

Please Mr. Harper can I have the standard black jelly beans?



Flaherty has been 'hollowing out' the piggybank since his budget last fall which trumpeted a slashing of 1% off the GST and cutting taxes to Canada's 'hollowed out' corporations by $60 Billion in order to show us the cupboard is really bare - proof! And all I can see as a citizen is peanuts in my pocket which I might as well feed the corporate elephant too.

And the military too is getting a big raise.

And the Tax Free Savings Account? Unless I was moderately wealthy I am scrambling to pay my ever increasing energy bills and gassing up old betsy. And how come the subway fell apart when I was trying to get to work this morning?

There was something I saw on the news the other night, five, or maybe six, of the highest bank towers in the heart of the financial district have been exempted from paying property tax as they claim to have overpaid their share for a number of years totalling an amout of $6 million! No wonder they complain that their obscene profits are not obscene enough to them. Well the citizens will have to cover their obscene butts 'til they deem justice is served.

Call it what it is, the Harper is selling us a crock of peanuts and before you buy into this crack one open to see if they haven't hollowed them out too.

No comments: